American Mink control
Lady Mole Catcher is also qualified to deal with American Mink.
Louise has attended training courses run by an experienced wildlife trainer in relation to all the ‘Pest’ Species she deals with, this includes the control of the American Mink
About American Mink
A non-native species, the semi-aquatic American Mink (Neovison vison) is found across the UK and can cause a negative impact on surrounding wildlife and habitat. Often mistaken for otters, American Mink are smaller and as the name suggests, native to North America. With no natural predators in the UK, this alien invader is thriving.
Their presence around the world is due to escapees or animals who were deliberately released from fur farms in the 1990s – today’s American Mink are usually their descendants. In Norfolk, the American Mink can have a highly detrimental affect on many of indigenous animals, including protected wildlife. The Norfolk Biodiversity Partnership encourages control programmes to prevent this highly active predator from killing water voles (an endangered species), wild birds and water fowl.
How do you know if you have American Mink on your land?
If you have birds or fish, you may notice a sharp decline in their numbers. This is often an indicator of the presence of American Mink because they are aggressive and will kill more prey than they need. This also applies to caged birds or poultry as female and young mink are small enough to enter small spaces. American Mink tend to follow waterways and can be found in fresh and salt water areas.
Why control American Mink?
There are a few issues to consider if you discover American Mink:
- American Mink numbers have increased rapidly in the last 30-40 years and they are now widespread across the UK
- The mink we have in Britain are not native and therefore can create issues for our established wildlife (especially endangered water voles)
- An aggressive predator, the American Mink can easily destroy fish, wild birds, water fowl and poultry
- Law states that if a non-native animal is caught in a trap, the trapper is legally obliged to dispatch the animal, as release would be a criminal offence.
- There are several methods for killing mink but it’s preferable to use the most humane methods available (such as specially designed cages or mink rafts)
- The Canal & River Trust supports targeted control of American mink, in order to protect our waterways, as well as for the conservation of water vole populations. Find out more at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/the-rogues-gallery/mink
- American Mink also has an impact on the tourism industry – especially game shooting and angling
Louise Chapman BA (Hons) PGCE
Norfolk’s very own Lady Mole Catcher®
Who I work with
- Householders in their garden
- Farmers and Land Agents
- Outdoor Leisure Facilities
- Restaurants and Pubs
- Local Authorities
If American Mink are causing problems in your area, get in touch with Louise to arrange for a site visit and no-obligation quote. Call 01603 25 99 45 or 07876 14 11 53 or email email@example.com
Very professional and quick results. If you have moles in your lawn, call Louise. I will always recommend you! Thank you.
Louise has helped us out on numerous occasions: excellent all round, would highly recommend.
Here at Broads Edge Marina we had a mole problem, Louise was very professional, reliable and competitive on price. Would highly recommend.
Organised for my parents property, we thought she was very efficient and a good quality of service. Will use again.
I moved into a two acre plot with over 50 mole hills. Louise came in and sorted my mole problem in a week. She was extremely professional, honest and very interesting to talk to. I would thoroughly recommend her.
Louise set 1 trap and hey presto the problem was cured within 2 days. An excellent service Louise and thank you very much. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or use again.
I felt totally at ease with her and knew exactly how much it was going to cost me. It was exactly how she described it and was payment by results as she stated on her website. I have no problem in recommending Louise to anybody.
Amazing service; e-mailed day one, Louise was at mine the next day and within a week the little critter was caught. Thank you so much; highly recommend!
My long standing mole problem was very efficiently eradicated. Now for the first time in years I can look forward to a beautiful lawn. I would recommend lady mole catcher, good job well done at a reasonable cost.
A fantastic job done with the utmost of care and keeping me informed about her progress. I would have no hesitation in recommending Louise and hope that she continues her success.
Louise was great. She does exactly what she says. No fuss, very knowledgeable and gets the job done. Two moles caught that had been playing havoc on my slope.